Planet Haolewood

A toolbox, a change of underwear, and a surfboard.

Sunday, September 17, 2006

The Electric Green Flash Test


Recently I’ve been watching a lot of sunsets and I’ve learned a few things. The sunset is much more than just the moment when the sun drops below the horizon. Actually the sun setting is really just a opening act for the real show of colors that begins AFTER the sun has set, a show which may go on for a good half an hour. The area where the sun set glows yellow and orange like a bonfire left to burn out, but as the show goes on any clouds in the rest of the sky light up with a whole range of pinks which brings me to the other thing I’ve learned about sunsets. They’re not just about that one spot on the horizon where the sun sets. A good sunset stretches out along the horizon and even touches the middle of the sky. I like to look at the pink clouds but I also notice the more subtle blue part of the show. As my gaze moves from the orange of the horizon upward I see yellow which fades and becomes the lightest of blues which in turn deepens until it is a nightfall violet high in the sky. And of course every sunset is unique.

And then there’s “The Green Flash,” a brief glimmer of green sometimes visible just after sunset. It may sound like a myth, but there is a scientific explanation for it which I won’t go into here. Brain swore he saw it. Sally said she didn’t. I thought I saw something but I described it as more of a dot than a flash. Maybe it’s like a Rorschach test. I think I’ll keep looking.

6 Comments:

At 9/18/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh, they talk about the green flash in "Red Sky at Morning!"
I love that you are looking for it :-)

 
At 9/18/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Green Flash should be your super hero name, and the sunset should be where you get your powers. That and vegetables.

 
At 9/18/2006, Blogger Summer Pierre said...

Oh my goodness that superhero idea is pure genius. They don't call you "brain" for nothn'!

 
At 9/20/2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When we were in Cancun and returning by boat from a visit to that island with all the iguanas, I was ridding on the front of the boat while you all were in the cabin. There I saw the green flash in spades. It was quite striking, almost like the Japanese battle flag except in green. I watched it for a few seconds then turned to go into the cabin to get you, but by the time I reached the door it had gone.

 
At 9/20/2006, Blogger BOR-ee-us said...

I was so close and I didn't even realize it!

 
At 9/29/2006, Blogger munchmom said...

I think the green flash is really that last dot of light as the sun sinks below the horizon. It is not exactly green, but that last bit of pure sunlight suddenly gets all of the sunset red sucked out of it.

At least, that is what I will believe until I see something different.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home