Planet Haolewood

A toolbox, a change of underwear, and a surfboard.

Thursday, May 10, 2007

Should I Stay or Should I Go?

When I moved to Hawaii it was such a big change and I couldn’t help but ask myself, “Am I moving there for just a little while or for good?” Of course I didn’t know the answer so to avoid wasting my time worrying about it I made a deal with myself: I would stay for a year before making any decisions. There were no consequences if I broke the deal, however. If after a month I was ready to go back there was nothing to stop me. A year just seemed like a reasonable length of time to give a new place a try since I had spent some energy and money in moving.

That was exactly one year ago. About the only decision I feel prepared to make is that I ‘m not moving back to California or any where else TODAY. I’m tempted to make another deal to stay another year and THEN see how I feel. I liked having a year off from worrying about the future. So why not take another year off? Call me greedy but I’m inclined instead take the rest of my life off. So here’s my new deal. If I wake up tomorrow and feel like staying here then I will. If and when the day comes when I no longer feel that way, then I’ll go somewhere else. Some people call that living “one day at a time.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home