Planet Haolewood

A toolbox, a change of underwear, and a surfboard.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Why Waikiki?


If you’ve ever been to Hawaii you’ve probably been to the island of Oahu, even if only to wait around at the Honolulu airport. Some interesting facts about Oahu: while it is only about %10 larger than Kauai, it has 15 times as many people living there and gets 4 times as many tourists. And then there’s Waikiki, a strange square mile separated from the rest of Honolulu by a canal and made up entirely of high rise hotels, gift shops and restaurants. %44 of the tourists in the entire state of Hawaii stay in Waikiki on any given night and for one evening which I hope to never repeat I joined them.

I could go on and on about how much Waikiki sucks but what’s the point? And if it’s so terrible why do so many more people choose to got there than any other place in the Hawaiian islands? I think its just one of those things I will never understand.

The traffic reminded me of California. The beaches were crowded and even though there were very few waves while I was there the line-ups had more surfers sitting around than I’ve seen on the best days for surfing on Kauai. I will say that I liked everywhere on Oahu I went outside of Honolulu and Waikiki. But on the whole, I was glad to return to The Garden Island.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home